Wednesday, January 21, 2009

BRT

You know, as in BRAIN REPLACEMENT THERAPY! Jeff thinks I need it! My
Boss wishes I had it and I am very sure my BOYS have signed MOI up for
it! AND WHY isn't it available????? We already have PMS (personal
monitoring systems) that allow spouses to chart our every move. And
how is it this you ask???? BECAUSE they can track all our purchases
online! I am convinced those purchases are even time stamped! It is
such a joy to come home and to be told where I had been and what I had
purchased…leaves little left for conversation!!! If they start
providing itemized info on those charges…I AM DOOMED!!!! AND there is
no grace period…no lag time…just 24/7!!! How did WE allow this to
happen????? Maybe best to go back to paying cash for everything!
Just have to explain those LARGE withdrawals!!

Watching Oprah the other evening with a show featuring HRT (and we ALL
know what that stands for!). Dr. Phil's wife has written a book about
her struggles and symptoms to watch for as one heads into menopause.
Those symptoms sounded very scary…memory loss, no energy to do all the
stuff you don't really want to do..AMEN to all that! Who wants to do
all that stuff anyway!! I am actually happy that I can now blame it
on "M" Factor instead of blaming myself for saying YES once too often!
I didn't follow Oprah's advice from her Just say NO show-but, I am
listening now!!! AND now I am off the hook for my irratic, irrational
and hysterical behavior-it's menopause baby!! One of the virtues of
becoming 50 is that you now become part of the DIVERSITY (i.e.
OUTREACH) demographic! WOO WHO!! Love being OUTREACH! I feel the
POWER! And speaking of power…..

Times are tough all around-of course, tell us something we don't
already know! With 30% of the fiscal year over at work we had our
finance committee meeting to go over everything. I was very excited
about doing this, since I LOVE to be fiscally responsible! Upon
reviewing the goals-MY events during this period exceeded last year's
goals, but fell short of this year's budget! This good news is that I
was able to write grants to cover this shortfall (YEAH!)-However, when
one presents the fiscal reports to the Board-budgets are always open
to interpretation!! I made it VERY clear when the Budget was sent to
the Board for approval, that the fundraising goals had been increased
over the previous year. It was one of my better performances….hoping
to inspire all Board Members to get out there and FUNDRAISE!!!! It's
a Catch 22…if we didn't increase the fundraising goals, the budget
wouldn't be passed! However, at the time…I felt we were all up to the
task! WHO KNEW we would head into these times of financial
difficulty!

But, alas….great minds forget discussion had in the recent past…so
when the finance committee met prior to the Board meeting (lots of
meetings this week!) the chair was not so pleased and pointed out that
I had an "aggressive" approach to fundraising! Now, you can say many
things about MOI, but "aggressive" anything…just doesn't fit! Of
course, I FELT like saying-hey…we are all in this together and I THINK
I spoke up about this several months ago...which you all approved!
However, I just smiled and said that it's true-we have fundraising
goals that are ambitious and I would do my best to meet those goals!!!
I felt it had a better ring to it! What else can you say???
OOPPSSSSS! Hmmmm, I don't think so! No one follows those numbers any
closer than MOI! So…as soon as the meeting was over-I ran into my
office and burst into tears!!! It must be the "M" factor!! Had to
quickly refresh my make-up, since I was heading out to dinner with
High School friends-a reunion of sorts! Drove with dear friend Nora,
and of course blurted out the details of the afternoon! I was still
so upset. It reminded MOI of the times when you had to tell all your
friends how mean so and so had been to you!! You never forget some
things!!

Nora just turned to MOI and said, "P, pull yourself together! You
have a MBA from Kellogg-you can rise above this!! Take that HIGH
ROAD! Tomorrow at the Board meeting, just go in there and defend your
position!" And that is EXACTLY what I did! When the report came up,
I remained calm, cool and collected. No other Board members said a
word! When everything around you is collapsing-dear friends and a
nice glass of VINO will always save you!

And speaking of VINO….a NEW study on Living Longer reported that one
can live longer consuming up to 15 glasses of VINO a week! WOO
WHOOOOO that is 2 glasses a day..over 730 glasses a YEAR! HOWEVER, if
you go to 4 glasses you are in BIG TROUBLE! NO KIDDING! You probably
can't MOVE! The study also found that people who volunteer live
longer! Are YOU Kidding MOI! Vino and Volunteering-the KEY to
longevity! This could be the new marketing pitch-the way to raise
funds! Entice folks to volunteer at the Art Center and serve them
VINO! It could be part of our "Living Longer through the Arts
Campaign!"

I know that I have "arrived" at the Art Center (it has only taken a
year!!). Our most famous faculty member stopped MOI in the hallway
the other day. She wanted to "discuss" something with MOI-of course,
I was bracing for the worst! Most faculty ask MOI to write grants for
special programs that they will teach…I have to reply that it doesn't
work that way…we write grants for certain things and then fit the
faculty to the program…I was most intrigued and as the same time
apprehensive….one false step and it could be curtains for MOI! She
has a large following and one can't afford to alienate any group! She
started out with a compliment on all my outreach "partnering" efforts.
WE ALL KNOW WHAT IS COMING NEXT…..I am on the Board of this
organization and they would like to hold an event with the Art
Center…I just smiled….We can make this happen! You have to know when
to say YES!

Patsy had given MOI a lovely garnet circle pin from my grandmother.
She said that I had admired it as a child. Experiencing memory loss
these days….I didn't remember the pin, but it is lovely and a family
heirloom…something to pass on to future generations!! The lovely pin
needed some refreshing as a few stones were missing and it needed to
be returned to its former glamour! I picked it up from the Jeweler and
was discussing the story with him. He sells beautiful antique
jewelry, so an authority of sorts! I was inquiring how I would wear
it and he said that it is perfect with pearls. He pulled out several
lovely strands..NO, I did not buy any pearls-tempting as it may be!
He continued to say that this style of pin is HIGHLY collectible….I
felt like I was on Antique Roadshow! "Really??" It's from the
1890's… "REALLY???" I had no idea! I just smiled and said, "it's a
family heirloom and NOT FOR SALE!"

It's rough here in the Windy City-we are having one of THOSE
winters….Tons of snow and freezing temperatures with several days
clocking 25 below zero wind chill factor! Although, let's be
honest…anything below 20 degrees is just plain COLD! The other
morning, I had the refrigerator door open and I thought-perhaps I
should keep it open to warm things up a bit!

Last Call starts at Neiman's on TUESDAY!!!!! GO! Put Kohl's on your
spring shopping list! Simply Vera line has some adorable skirts!
Several articles recommend looking at CLAIRE'S for great
jewelry-always!! For an "of the moment" update to your wardrobe-head
over to Urban Outfitter www.urbanoutfitters.com, click on accessories
and buy this adorable Mesh lace necklace for $78. It is large-but not
overwhelming!!! Also, keep those cuffs ready to go! This time try to
see if you can wear two or three of them up your arm (I know – this
may not be so simple!!). and My FAVORITE!
www.yummietummie.com Their tops cling, yet covers those bulges! FABULOUS!

Have a great week!!
Love, P

No comments: