Tuesday, January 13, 2009

“I guess we had a failure to COMMUNICATE….”

Things were going along as best as can be expected! It is nice to
have time off during the holidays…but, let's be honest…one really
doesn't get time off, since life marches on. You only get a chance to
take a "break!" My "Holiday" started with yours truly, spending
several hours picking up artwork at the FedEx Corporate facility. Any
self-respecting Mom is on a first name basis with the lovely folks at
the FedEx facility in Northbrook, since they are open until 9:00 p.m.
for pick up and sending. But, now life is a bit easier for all of us
because you can go to Kinkos to do that last minute mailing of all
those important items that your children have left at home and need
IMMEDIATELY. In fact, I felt very much "in the know" on Saturday,
when I was sending Jeffrey a few items that he had "left." Naturally,
he called MOI after the post office had closed, so headed to Kinkos
and was busy preparing my box, when I overheard a woman discussing her
FedEx needs with the nice fellow behind the counter (note to dear
readers, this was a different fellow than the one that I had the
experience with last fall!!!). She was sending several boxes to her
daughter (must be a freshman, since she didn't know the drill). Lots
of large ZAPPOS boxes (love this!) filled with items that didn't fit
in her suitcase. The shipping ended up costing $150, not bad I
thought for 5 large boxes!!! The mother just about had a heart
attack. Then she started with the…I will repack the boxes myself…etc.
I just smiled as I completed my forms. The young man behind the desk
said that she could, but once you get over a certain
weight..blah..blah..blah..it truly doesn't make any difference! I
took my place in line and hoped that she would SURRENDER quickly
because it was really snowing outside and I still had lots of errands
to do!!

Where was I???? FedEx o.k., so, the day before vacation, the
exhibition curator calls to see if the artwork from one of the artists
has arrived by FedEx. This is on Friday. The curator said the artist
sent it from New York on Monday. Hmmm….I didn't see it, but told her
I would look for it and call her back ASAP. I asked what size –
4 ft. x 6 ft. Hmmmm…that should be easy to spot!! Went searching in
the usual places and NO SIGN of a large box. Called back the curator
and asked her to get the tracking number and I would take it from
there. Did I mention that it was SNOWING….and I think the airports
were closed-didn't look promising. She called back with the tracking
number and then the information that the package was sent on Wednesday
for guaranteed arrival by Christmas (this is December 19th). O.K.
Well, let's see…Wednesday is not Monday and we were closing on the
19th for two weeks and wouldn't be here to receive it after Friday. I
would say a Failure to Communicate! Hmmmmmm…went online to track the
package and found it had arrived at 6 am that morning! HOORAY! At
least it was in Chicago!! Reported the info back the curator. Then
she wanted to know how late we would be working on Friday…O.K. Did I
mention it was snowing…it had snowed about 8-10 inches, so several
employees hadn't made it into work, because their cars were snowed in.
Not that I would EVER leave early, but it was a holiday vacation
coming up….I told her I would stay until 5 p.m. She seemed happy
about this. And here's the thing-she is one of the nicest people, so
I really couldn't get all bent out of shape about it….but, as the day
went by….and no artwork…..I had to go to plan B-Decided around 3 p.m.
to call FedEx to see what my options would be if the artwork arrived
on Monday or if I could pick it up! Chatted with a nice fellow who
told MOI that I could pick it up on Monday at the Commercial location
in Wheeling. He would tell them to hold it there for MOI! I
thought-thank goodness-a plan B! Called back the curator and told her
that I would pick it up on Monday. I wasn't sure where the place was
located, but I had the general idea. I thought this is easier than
waiting for it to arrive! She thought that would be fabulous! She
didn't offer to pick it up…but, as I have said-she is a lovely person
and very hard working…one does what one has to do!!

Did I mention that it continued to snow all weekend?? So all my plans
of getting errands completed and ready to go away for Christmas were
way behind schedule! On Monday, the curator kept calling in the a.m.
to see if I had picked up. Now, you can imagine how my day OFF was
going…already running late, snow, freezing and having to drive to the
Commercial location which was a 30 minute drive on a good day! I took
a deep breath and remembered to take the HIGH ROAD (always) and found
the location. A bit tricky trying to figure out how to enter the
location. Turns out it is a very SECURE location. You park and then
have to enter a small building for "security clearance" before you can
enter the main building. All this and I still wasn't completely sure
they even had the artwork!! Arrived at the small building-didn't
realize I would have to take off all my outer layers…(similar to the
airport!). Relieved that I was given the O.K. and then headed out to
the next building. Walked into an office building and there was just
a big empty room, with little cubicles off to one side.
HELLOOOOOOO???? "I'm here to pick up a package??!!" Fortunately, a
nice woman popped up and said that she could help MOI! (Note to self,
remember to make more noise when I return in the future (you all know
that this is going to happen again!!!!) I explain my situation (by
now another ½ hour has gone by!!!!) and then she tells MOI to have a
seat while I am waiting. Are you kidding MOI-just get me the @$!$%@^
package and let me out of here!! I know she is trying to be nice,
but I really needed to be moving along! I chose to stand while I
waited, so I had the opportunity to look into her cubicle. She had
some cute pictures of her kids and this being the Holiday Season, I
told her that her kid's pictures were adorable….She flashed a big
smile and said that they were her grandchildren. Then a discussion of
how young she looked…..FINALLY, the package arrived! It was rather
large and I hoped it wasn't heavy because I would be the one lugging
it into the car and then into the art center. I gave the woman my
business card, since it was not addressed to moi-she smiled and said
that she was going to give MOI a call because she was interested in
taking art classes in the spring!

Spent this week preparing for the big opening of the exhibition today.
Artwork all arrived and several artists installed their own work. I
had told the curator last fall, that I had managed to rent out the Art
Center for an event that would be held during the exhibition. She had
assured MOI that all the installations would be on the wall, so it
wouldn't be a problem. I was very excited about the rental, since it
would be a new source of income for the Art Center!! One has to be
"creative" during "these times!!" Fortunately for MOI, I have already
lived through several of "these times"…so I Know this drill!!! Truly
a benefit of being old!! I just wish I knew everything, because that
would make things so much easier! I happened to be walking by one of
the galleries as an artist was installing her work. I noticed that
she was putting "text" (FYI- very popular these days!) on the floor
with yarn. AND it was taking up most of the floor space in the
gallery. I just looked at the curator and said, "I have a rental for
this room and they will need to WALK in this space." The curator said
that she knew but, "I guess there was a COMMUNICATION
misunderstanding." Between WHOM????
Fear not dear readers…I have figured out a plan that will make all
parties happy. I may have to rethink my "rental" program going
forward!!!!

Watching Oprah and Suzy this week on "New Life" week or something like
that-I was not so inspired. Suzy suggests that to save money, you
should just stay home and NOT spend money. I wonder if I should send
her that article so she can do her own Pedicure! I did try to stay
home the other evening and not spend any money. It actually was fun!
I spent it researching shoe websites!! Found one, www.footcandy.com
to be quite fabulous!! Also, Payless provided some great buys for
spring! Check out the new Lela Rose line at Payless! The Palmetto
Peep Wedge and the Marigold Satin Flat features " a beautiful satin
upper with contrasting piping and an elegant D'Orsay silhouette."
This may be the closest I get to a D'Orsay anything!! Also, the
Analucia Halter Tote of "quality" canvas and glossy patent, and a
woven rope panel detail. It is very cute! Each under $30 – how can
you go wrong??!!

And here are a few tips to "rework" your wardrobe! A popular theme
right now! Again, similar to last week's searching for all those
fabulous Valentino ensembles that you have hidden in the back corners
of your closet!!! Take your Black Blazer and wear it over
EVERYTHING!! Make sure it is hip length, so it can go over
everything!! One suggestion is to put it over your evening frock (not
so sure on that one-would really depend on the frock!). But, it looks
very nice belted over a skirt and top, or pants and top. Also try
pushing up your sleeves to make it look "fresh!" And if you don't
have the fabulous blazer or your blazer isn't so fabulous-Head over to
Club Monaco!! Their "Manhattan Tex" wool blazer is very nice and will
do the trick! It might even be on sale!!! Also, check out Zara-they
are a great source for something like this!

Next find that Skinny Belt – Kohls and Tarjay have a nice selection!
See if you can find one in faux leather python! You can wear it with
a shift, over a cardigan (make sure it isn't too think-don't want that
"sausage look"), or with your jacket from above!! AND wear your
favorite white shirt under these looks! Don't have one-try the
Gap-They have a great one for $39.50!!! You can wear it over a tank
top or untucked under a sweater (makes it easy, since they always
become untucked anyway! Who knew you were already so chic!) Also try
to mix up day and night. If you pair tailored looks with pieces made
from evening fabrics-it looks very NEW! Try that white shirt with a
lace skirt and boots! VOILA-you are good to go!!!

Have a great week and try to stay home and out of the stores!!! HA HA HA!
XO,
P

No comments: