Monday, January 26, 2009

“I like to call myself the Cultural Anthropologist of Cosmetics…..

MOI AUSSI! I knew that Soc-Anthro degree would come in handy one of
these decades!!

OH PLEASE…give Moi a break! Where do these women come from???! I
know, I know..I should be PRO all these Executive women types, but
sometimes I just want to say…WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE??!! After what
I would characterize as one of my busiest weeks to date, a good thing
I know, but sometimes….From having to find $$$ funding for a new
exhibition that wasn't going to happen and now everyone wants to
happen, and of course all eyes turned toward MOI to see if I can get
it funded…NO PRESSURE…HA HA HA! To having both groups of women, who
are renting out the Art Center for their school fundraisers arriving
at the EXACT same time (neither let MOI know they were coming) to go
over all details! FORTUNATELY….I can do this in my SLEEP! I am a
PROFESSIONAL!! HA! But, they seemed impressed that I had the floor
plans, coat racks, tables and as a bonus…menu suggestions!! Event
Planning at it's finest! Did I mention that all this was going on
while we were trying to set up for an exhibition opening…..Talk about
Multi-tasking!

So, how RELAXING to spend a Saturday at the Kellogg Marketing
Conference!! As I was rushing out the door Saturday a.m….Jeff gave
MOI a warning NOT to go shopping…No Danger Darling…although, I could
check out the Book Store!! Made it with just minutes to spare…the
Opening speaker was from Kellogg Company, of all things! He had a
nice title-Global VP of Consumer Insights…don't you think we could ALL
do that job….I mean think about it…we consume and we have insight!
What I love about this conference is that I get to test my brain to
see if I can still FOLLOW and UNDERSTAND the discussions!!!! Plus,
you get to check out all the new titles that abound!! I arrived and
met a cheerful looking fellow, who was also rushing in. When it gets
to be close to zero, you find that you are friendly to fellow freezing
folks! We shared pleasantries as we were running to get indoors!! He
asked what I did and I told him a title. He gave me a nod of approval
(that's a first!) and then told MOI what he did….VP of Consumer
Engineering blah..blah..blah…I gave him a BIG smile and nod of
approval!! Consumer Engineering…now that's something! Engineering
WHAT???? I wanted to ask, but we were both inside the lecture room by
now.

The speaker was giving a history of Frosted Flakes (a personal
favorite!) and how they are positioning an older brand for the future!
It turns out that Frosted Flakes isn't really about eating cereal, it
is about building self esteem and sports! WHO KNEW??? I just don't
remember getting that message as I ate my frosted flakes…I just
remember that they were filled with sugar and DELICIOUS!!! And
probably fattening…but, at that time, wasn't so concerned with
counting those calories!!!! AND I certainly wasn't interested in
nutritional qualities. To be honest, I was surprised they are still
making that cereal with the same formula?? I thought perhaps it would
be whole grain…maybe unsweetened?? OR better yet, sweetened with
Splenda???!! Kids love that and so much better for you than real
sugar!!! Nope, just changing the message and now it's about building
self esteem and Baseball fields! Well, there's a twist. To be
honest, I don't remember any cereal building a baseball field….this is
really something! He went on to give a fabulous power point about the
entire marketing strategy (wish I had it, could be useful for when I
am trying to sell those donors on that exhibition program…If eating
frosted flakes can build baseball fields…just THINK what a donation to
the exhibition program will do for THE WORLD!!!). They have set up a
website and you can go to it-put your child's picture on a page and it
will print out a baseball card with your child on it. Now, that's
something…you don't have to spend $60 to buy all those prints-you can
do it for free on this website…HMMMMMM maybe we could have a link to
the website and since the Moms are saving all that money downloading
the baseball card on this website-they could then take the money they
saved from not having to buy a zillion photos and donate it to the art
center!! Sounds like a plan,….but, the power point did not contain
that plan!

It went on to say that all types of marketing channels would be used
to create brand awareness and to get their message out that if you eat
Frosted Flakes and GO to a special Website, you can vote for your
favorite baseball field. Kellogg will pay to build new baseball
fields across the country for areas that don't have them! Each town
that wants a baseball field has to write a story and you can read all
the stories and VOTE for your favorite story. I wonder if you have to
put in the product scanning number in order to vote??? I found it
interesting that the advertising they were going to do would be in
magazines such as US, TV Guide and Touch magazine…HMMMMM….lots of Moms
must have changed their reading habits, since my kids were little??!
That would really reach a large audience….And then there is every
Mom's favorite – the end of aisle display (which has a fancy name, but
I can't remember it now). You know the one that sticks out with all
this stuff on it and you bump it with your cart, because if doesn't
fit in the aisle and all the boxes fall over and OH…THE WATER
BOTTLES…water bottles and Frosted Flakes…PERFECT would fall all over
the floor. I did think the orange water bottles were very cute! AND
I must say, they showed the box design in one of the slides…it was
interesting to see it in one dimension-it actually looked like a FEAT
of engineering!! During the Q and A, I was tempted to ask if they
were using a "control" group to see if eating Frosted Flakes did in
fact build self-esteem? Or perhaps, how were they going to measure
their results? Poll 50+ year olds who ate Frosted Flakes, not knowing
it could build self-esteem and see how many grew up to have
self-esteem on their own? What other factors could cause high
self-esteem besides cereal??? It seems to me a difficult thing to
measure?? It is one thing to grow up having high self-esteem without
knowing that you needed to have self-esteem vs. knowing that you could
build self-esteem by eating a certain cereal. I wanted to share my
concerns with fellow conference attendees, but they were much more
interested in texting each other during the lecture…and then rushing
out for the free snacks and coffee during the break!

I looked forward to my first "break out" session, a panel discussion
on the timely topic of "Minorities as the New Majority." Being a Baby
Boomer now qualifies one for being in the minorities mix-marketers are
now targeting this group, while still keeping their "consistent" brand
identity! I had NO IDEA that I had been relegated to a group that
wasn't targeted any longer. It just seems like the world has passed
MOI by!! So, it was with great interest that I wanted to listen to
how I was going to be targeted! The first woman started out with her
Cultural Anthropologist intro-she actually is THE VP of marketing
diversity at a cosmetics firm…NOW WHO KNEW these jobs were out
there???! She was very attractive, as you can imagine, and was hardly
wearing any make-up (maybe she should visit one of her PRESTIGE (as
she liked to put) counters in a department store to get a little
make-over…the natural look isn't so easy to carry off once you hit 40!
She had been a fashion designer and has been with this PRESTIGE
company for 10 years….She was wearing this incredible jewelry, so I
decided to concentrate on it, since I found her to be a little too
much about HER! She had on 4 different necklaces starting with a
chocker of light crystal beads (2 strands), then 2 strands of medium
colored looking stones-like citrine, followed with two more strands of
perhaps Black Jet beads and finishing with 2 strands of pearls. Each
necklace fit right below the next, not layers on top of each other,
but separate layers. The beads were all about the same size as the
pearls. It was FABULOUS!! This would be easy for all of you to do…I
know you have all these types of necklaces in your closets and wearing
just two strands doesn't look right. It also wasn't a "heavy" look
because they were all the same size! You could do the same thing with
bracelets…just put on different ones to get the "cuff" look. She
went on to discuss different target markets in her PRESTIGE (and every
time she said it-she said it very SLOWLY….with the accent falling on
the last syllable as in PahLEEZZZZ….) product lines. I found myself
fitting in with the "casual Lipstick user!" Finally, a name for it!
Although…I wanted more info on the Beauty Aficionados! What a FAB
title!

The panel also had a woman who CONFESSED to be 47 and she worked with
those aging baby boomers targeting products that would work for them.
Although, at 47 she didn't think that she was that old and was so
surprised that soon she would be over 50 and folks wouldn't target her
any longer. She seemed to be very concerned about this (or rather…I
could read between the lines, since I was probably the only one in the
audience who actually was OVER 50!). She also mentioned that part of
her job was working with senior management and HR to say that they
shouldn't let the 60 year old person go, even though a 23 year old
could do their job. The OLDER worker has something to contribute.
(Although, she didn't elaborate on what the 60 year old did
contribute) I thought that was charitable of her-but also could sense
that she could see the writing on the wall! She could do with a
little of those PRESTIGE make-up products to give her an edge as she
gets to that 50 (keep 'em guessing, I always say!!) She was also very
kind in that she felt that joining AARP doesn't mean that you are
old-I agree…you get all kinds of bargains! And it would be even
better if they added discounts at Neiman's to their list! I guarantee
more people would join!

I left the session relieved to know that I am a casual lipstick user
and diverse! Just THINK of the money I have saved not having to go to
an analyst!! I look forward to seeing a plethora of products that
will soon be targeted to MOI! Perhaps the folks at Kellogg with find
a way to give one a youthful glow by eating Frosted Flakes!

And again….just when you think things look bleak-a moment of
brightness! We had a wonderful Ikebana International meeting today.
It was a demonstration and workshop given by my teacher. We had it
downtown in the south loop, at a Flower Arranging school. One of the
members called to see if we could drive together. Of course, I don't
MIND..but, I often like to do errands on my way home….you know….And I
would have to drive 20 minutes out of my way to meet her at a central
location. Oh well…what's another 20 minutes. And here is what really
made MOI nervous…we had to meet at 9:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning. It
was hovering around zero, so I couldn't be late, since I didn't want
her to freeze! So, rushing around this a.m. trying to get there on
time..again….asking myself, WHY DO I DO THESE THINGS??! She was
waiting and fortunately, she hadn't been there long! We had a
pleasant ride down and the demonstration was terrific. She used a
silver leaf protea which has a silvery flower and the silver shade of
leaves was very cool! It was one of those arrangement where you have
to manipulate all the leaves and staple and tape them…I do love this
type of arrangement, but it isn't the easiest for MOI! Also, I have
been hit or miss on taking classes over the past few years, so I get a
bit nervous when I am arranging with all the Japanese ladies!
(although, they are very kind and would NEVER say anything to MOI-but,
I know when they are talking about MOI!). And as we all know with
Ikebana, sometimes it can get rough, with teachers taking out your
entire arrangement and "helping" you do it "a better way." In the
interest of time, I went about making my arrangement finishing within
about 15 minutes "….in Ikebana one THINKS about the arrangement for 45
minutes and arranges in 15 minutes." I was in the back of room, so I
don't know if my teacher was tired by the time she got to my
arrangement, or was actually sincere. I stood waiting for the
"critique." Ready to take action and rearrange. She walked up and
looked at it and, I KID YOU NOT….said, "Oh my, (with a surprised tone
in her voice) you are so talented, you truly understand this." I just
about fell over! I KID YOU NOT…this has NEVER happened to MOI! She
then went on to call everyone over to look at the arrangement and
DIDN'T TOUCH a thing!

I leave you with the Fashion column from FORBES magazine…known for
their fashion columns!
It is way beyond price points I would recommend, except I have to get
that Pencil skirt-but the ideas are there!!!
Have a great week!!
Love, P

These days, the economy is forcing even the biggest shopaholics to put
the breaks on spending. And clothing may be one of the first things to
go. Fashion diet? Yes. But it doesn't have to feel like starvation:
Take a leaf out of the French woman's book and learn to shop smart.
Here, five tips from stylish women on how to dress gorgeously and save
money while doing so.
American women love markdowns and tend to shop impulsively. French
women, by contrast, shop with a plan and buy selectively. They only
head to a clothing store when they need a particular item.
Internet entrepreneur Ludovica Pellicioli, who works at the Web
start-up Liquida in Milan, developed her shopping expertise in Paris
where she grew up. "I always approach shopping with a plan in mind,"
she says. "This is what I need, this is what I would like and this is
where I can find it. Shopping is rarely the sole purpose of an
outing."
In Pictures: Eight Essential Items For A Perfect Wardrobe
Pellicioli plans her wardrobe each season by assessing what she
already has in her closet and adding carefully to her collection. For
her winter wardrobe this year she purchased a jacket designed by Rick
Owens. She paid about $2,000, but she wears the jacket several days
each week--sometimes with slacks, sometimes over a dress and to both
daytime and evening events.
Shop Selectively
Comment On This Story
American women have a habit of splurging for items they don't
particularly need. French women avoid splurges by shopping for just a
half-dozen indispensable wardrobe items each year.
French designer Anne Fontaine, known for her white shirts, says that
"besides a beautiful blouse, every woman should have a great pair of
jeans, black pants, a perfect skirt, a perfect little black dress and
a jacket for each season."
Consider this collection of basics a jumping off point--with a few
accessories added in, there are endless outfit possibilities. A little
black dress, for example, can be dressed up with fine jewelry for a
formal event, paired with a jacket for a business dinner or worn with
strappy sandals for a cocktail party.
Assess Every Purchase
French women assess how often they will be able to wear every item
they purchase. Designer Catherine Malandrino advises women to think
carefully about their buys. "French women are not just picking
something because it is in fashion," Malandrino explains. "She gives
more thought to it. How many times can she wear it? Is it versatile
enough to go from day, to work, to cocktails? And will she want to
wear it again and again?"
That sequined jacket may look great on a store rack but most likely it
won't be wearable at the office. A tuxedo blazer, on the other hand,
can be paired with jeans for a casual look or with a satin shift for a
formal evening event.
Born in Grenoble, France, Malandrino learned from her French mother
how to build a distinct wardrobe, buying only comfortable clothes that
were made of high-quality fabrics. "My mother had an Yves Saint
Laurent blouse that she always wore. Year after year, season after
season, it never seemed to age."
Know When to Splurge … and On What
Building a quality wardrobe requires spending more on less and
investing in great accessories. Forking over $800 for a Louis Vuitton
bag or over $5,000 for a Hermès Kelly bag may seem highly extravagant,
but when the cost is amortized over several decades of use, the bag's
price tag may seem more reasonable. Other pricey items, such as
colorful designer silk scarves or a pair of designer pumps, also can
last for years.
"French women prefer quality over quantity," says Fontaine. "This
holds true from our fashion choices to the food and wine we drink.
Quality of life overall is very important in the French lifestyle."
Skip the Trends
Instead of following trends, French women are loyal to the styles and
colors that look best on them. After all, copying what's on the
runways isn't for everyone. French style icons like actress Catherine
Deneuve, known for her black cocktail dresses and trench coats, forge
their own signature styles and stick to them.
Deborah Ricard, who works in public relations for TSE cashmere and
grew up in Versailles, France, says women in France embrace their
individuality. "They will never wear what the magazines and
celebrities tell them to wear. Instead, they choose and wear clothes
[that fit] their personality. It is more about what feels right and
looks good on you. Most of all it has to look effortless."
One of Ricard's biggest pet peeves is seeing women in head-to-toe
designer looks. She advocates creatively mixing and matching different
styles instead.
For her part, Ricard mixes vintage and new pieces, along with
expensive designer items and cheap finds. Malandrino is another
champion of dressing eclectically and enjoys pairing cocktail dresses
with motorcycle jackets and mixing jeans and T-shirts with unique
vintage jewelry or belts. "Women should be their own stylists," she
says.
Little Black Dress
The little black dress is an essential piece in any woman's wardrobe.
Go for the best fit, avoiding any cuts that might be too trendy. There
are a lot of black dress options and you should try on at least a
dozen before deciding what looks best on you.
Whether it's sleeveless, has short sleeves, is straighter or more
full--your black dress should be ultra flattering.
Catherine Malandrino's sleeveless dress, $425, is perfectly versatile
Trench Coat
Soon after it was designed by Thomas Burberry for soldiers to wear
during World War I, the trench coat became a fashion must-have for
women as well as men. Wear it over jeans and instantly transform
yourself into Audrey Hepburn. Wear it over a cocktail dress for a
dressed-down but polished evening look.
Burberry's taffeta wrap trench, $1,195, from the spring 2009
collection is an investment you will wear for years
Black Suit
Everyone needs a great black suit. It also happens to be one of the
hardest items to shop for. Make sure to consider the fit and fabric
when shopping. Also make sure you like the jacket and pants as
separates. There are endless possibilities for wearing a suit
jacket--over a cocktail dress, with jeans or with a colorful skirt.
And everyone needs a great pair of black pants.
Charles Nolan's latest black suit, will take you from the office to dinner.
Cashmere Sweater
Cashmere sweaters like TSE's basic turtleneck, $425, last longer and
look more elegant than merino wool sweaters. Pair with black trousers
for a casual day at work or wear it around your shoulders during a
cocktail event to fight the chill.
Ballet Flats
Heels are great, but let's face it, most of us don't have the pain
tolerance to wear them at work all day, every day. A great pair of
ballet flats can be worn on your way to work and then traded for
heels. They also add an elegant but casual appeal to anything in your
wardrobe.
The iconic French label Repetto's classic ballet flats, $220, have
been worn by style icons from Brigtte Bardot to Sarah Jessica Parker.
Pencil Skirt
The pencil skirt is back in fashion. Pair it with a white blouse for
work, a cashmere sweater in the evening or a T-shirt on the weekend.
French Connection's Checker Play skirt, $39.99, looks great at a great
price point, too.
Black Pumps
If you're going to splurge on one pair of great black pumps, make sure
they're comfortable because you'll wear them with everything.
Christian Louboutin has perfected the black pump with styles like the
Decollete, $575, which instantly transforms the look and feel of an
outfit.
White Blouse
A classic white blouse can work with any outfit, and French designer
Anne Fontaine knows this well. A white blouse can be worn just as
easily on casual Fridays as it can to a black-tie affair with a
taffeta skirt.
Anne Fontaine's Milous blouse, $395, has enough detail to make it a
standout but is classic enough to make it a basic.

No comments: