Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ikebana for all!

It certainly was a week for TV! Thanks to dear friend Kate who watched my debut on cable TV. She sent an email that I was A. O.K., at least I didn't embarrass myself! I couldn't wait for the IT guy to bring in the tape…he had forgotten the first day…..(It airs three times a week),,HONESTLY..I WAS DYING TO SEE THE VIDEO!!!! The show runs for a half-hour. SO GLAD I took Charla's advice and wore that nude lipstick, with a light pink color. It really DOES make you look younger!!! Fortunately, the camera wasn't too close, so those wrinkles weren't so visible!! Will let you know when it is up on Youtube!!!
Such a Video world!!!

Ikebana has arrived at the Art Center!! Ye of little faith have now seen the light! All the "artists" at the center (including my boss), were dismissive of my claims that Ikebana is truly a visual art form! How Silly!! As you all know, I have been making those arrangements to welcome folks to the Art Center. The Director of Education was quite taken with them and wanted to have classes in them at the Art Center! Score 1 for Paula!
I talked with my Sensei, Mrs. Baily, and she thought it would be wonderful to teach classes! We have a group of 8 (o.k., so I am paying for three of the interns to take the class! They wouldn't let it run unless we had 8!!) and they started this week. We set them up in one of the galleries, since they weren't sure if the class would be filled or not, so they didn't assign classroom space…Again, YE OF LITTLE FAITH! It turned out to be the perfect space, since the gallery is located right next to the kitchen-great for clean up!!
It was so much fun to see everyone starting to learn Ikebana!! It brought back so many memories! The interns loved it! And they did a fantastic job!! My boss came running to find MOI (I am going to take it next session-no time this time!) and was very excited!! He was thrilled to see what they were doing! He even ran to get his camera to take photos to use on the website and in future marketing material!! One small step for the Art Center…A GIANT LEAP for IKEBANA!

Once again find myself volunteering at Thrift House…just can't seem to stay away. A management change, so helping out with pricing and getting ready for the Fall Opening on August 21st! In my ZEAL to be organized, I decided it was time to go through those shoes and handbags. A look through my closet, required some purging there too! So, I ended up having a rather large load to take with MOI as I headed there on Saturday morning. We had planned to have a group meet there (I was late, comme d'habitude! But, I was buying the Lattes!) and I arrived to find 10 women busy sorting and pricing! FORMIDABLE! This was terrific! Not wanting to stop all the activity, I started bringing my boxes down to the basement where they were all assembled! They inquired as to the donor of the merchandise, hoping it might be a cut above the Vintage Talbot suits they were currently pricing!! I told them it was mine and suddenly….all activity stopped! 10 women started to hover over the box..waiting to see what was inside, Upon opening, it was the purse box….the first purse was pulled out of the box and into a woman's hand….never to see the pricing gun. I was a bit surprised..actually, sort of embarrassed, since I was not sure the next boxes would surpass the expectations and the excitement! I ran upstairs to bring down the other boxes, leaving the ladies to look for themselves! Down came the box of shoes. "What Size??" "10 or 40 ½" Another group dove in….Then came the clothes…which I hung on an available rack….. "Oh, here is bag of jewelry." Another group dove in! I took the Coffee orders and could see everyone was eyeing the items on the rack. They were WAITING FOR MOI TO LEAVE!!!! One woman remarked, we should have a "Worn by Paula" corner-might boost sales! I just laughed and left to work upstairs….At the end of the shift…each woman came upstairs with a bag of "Previously worn by Paula" to purchase!! It just doesn't get any better than this!!!!

Hard to believe we are into August…time to make the most of all your summer clothes…Fall will be close by and time for those "transition" clothes (always difficult!! You don't want to look like SUMMER when it is FALL…even though is 70 degrees outside!) Neimans lists the following must haves for Fall:
Something in berry colors-cranberry and grape are perfect!
Something Satin-a blouse would be PERFECT! Why not in a berry color!!
High-Vamp heels-very modern, most have a stiletto heel, but they don't have to be too high! They are pointy-toed, look like a low boot. Must wear with tights! But, can wear with pencil skirts, full skirts and that shift dress you bought for summer!
Lace- Something in a handbag or blouse. I found a long jacket and am thinking about a pencil skirt! Make sure it is fitted!
Sleek shapes..get that oversized clutch that is long and narrow! The tunic dress works well, make sure it hits at or just below the knee. Try a fitted longer jacket over narrow pants…It look is simple and elegant!! Don't embellish!
Romantic Blouses-great place to combine with the lace. I found a white blouse with a ruffle! PERFECT!
Statement Jewelry! Bring it on!!! The bigger the better! A fabulous necklace by Alexis Bittar-made of Lucite, agate, Swarovski crystals! "THEY" SAY….you can glom it on! I SAY, stick to one big piece….THOSE "THEY" FOLKS are young!

Happy Shopping!!
Love, P

No comments: